Firm: Haskell & White LLP
- Wayne Pinnell - Been with the firm for 12 years, and was previously with BDO as a managing partner
- Nancy Weber - Brough - Campus Recruiter
- Matt Russo - Interned twice with the firm, and started in January in the tax practice
- Lane Wiggins - Incoming Audit and Advisory Associate
- Ryan Mathis - Audit Intern
About the firm There are two Locations: Irvine - Main Headquarters, San Diego - Smaller, but growing location. Haskell and White focuses on the middle-market with 85 client-centered professionals and 10 entrepreneurial professionals. They work with public and private companies.
Awards and Reputation:
- Proud reputation of PCOAB inspection reports and AICPA Peer Review reports
- "Best Place to Work OC" for six consecutive years - OCBJ
- Top Workplaces for Women Inaugural List 2017 - Accounting Today
- Ranked as "Best Firms to Work For" - Accounting Today
Getting into the Accounting Industry:
- Most students pursuing a degree in accounting choose one of the following:
- "Students should capitalize on your education and find the path that best fits you." - Wayne
- Your Goal - Be the "Top Talent"
- "Firms are looking for individuals with a good GPA, experience from either work or other activities, soft skills, leadership experience, and great communication. In other words they're looking for top talent." - Wayne
Skills in High Demand:
- Exceptional communication
- Strong ability to learn
- Calm, confident demeanor
- Balancing Act - Can you do it?
- A healthy sense of curiosity
- Team skills
- Software - capabilities
Showcase your Abilities:
- Go to speaker meetings, office tours, Meet the Firms, and any other event where professionals attend
- Take time to learn about the organizations your interested in
- "Don't ask 'what do you guys do here?'" - Wayne
- Ask questions to peers who have done an internship, professors who have insight, or other professionals
- Find out what's most important to you
- Each organization has its own culture:
- "Our culture at Haskell and White is very different from the culture of EY. Our Irvine location even has a different location from our San Diego location." - Wayne
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are you ready for a strong mentorship and learning?
- Is career progression important?
- Visit the office; what is the vibe?
- What is the state of the current team members?
- Visit Glassdoor and other on-line references to learn about organizations
Why do Accountants Leave Public Accounting?
- Most accountants who left the industry did so in search of a better quality of life
- Seek a firm that provides high quality and also provides you the challenge and education you seek
- Don't lose sight of the factors that matter to you in the recruiting/interviewing process
Who are you? What message are you sending?
- What is your on-line presence saying to others?
- Make it easy to find your profile and positive details about you
- Dress with a careful thought to the details
- Hair, nails, shoes are all noticed by potential employers
"Getting what you want takes a well thought out strategy; seek help and adjust as needed. Enjoy the journey." - Wayne