Firm: Grant Thornton
Office Location: Irvine, CA
- Elana Popp (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Professionals in Attendance:
- Mark Hughes – Audit Partner, CSUF Campus Champion
- Melvin Tobaru – Tax Partner, Practice Leader for GT’s Tax Reporting Advisory Group
- Sarah Stark – Audit Senior Manager
- Thomas Le – Tax Manager
- George Lozano – Senior Audit Associate
- Jessa Ursabia – Senior Audit Associate
Speaker Meeting Topic: The Business of Public Accounting
- Grant Thornton LLP is the U.S. member firm of GTIL, is one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory services.
- GT’s mission is to make a significant, positive difference for their colleagues, their clients, their profession, and their communities. They strive to deliver new ideas, fresh perspectives and innovative thinking to fast-growing, dynamic organizations that want to challenge the status quo.
- Three main service lines: Audit, Tax and Advisory. Although you are expected to choose one of the three service lines upon joining the firm, you will be working very closely with the other service lines. For example, the client may need a combination of services resulting in the firm sending out a team filled with professionals from multiple service lines.
- In public accounting, it is important to understand how to read people and know when and where to say things. The bottom line is that in business, people want to work with people that they like and they feel that they can trust.
- At Grant Thornton you will have the opportunity to explore a wide range of clients in multiple different industries, giving you the chance to get a good feel for what you would like to specialize in.
Useful Tips from Grant Thornton Professionals:
- On the audit side, you will see more at Grant Thornton faster than you will at many other firms. The firm’s size, agility, and types of clients allow for you to see more faster because of how their client engagements are structured. For example, there would never be a situation where you would spend 6 months only auditing Cash.
- Working in public accounting, you have to have a great team of people beneath you to support you so you can leverage down and elevate your role and do other things and take on other responsibilities. At the same time, you have to have amazing mentors to bounce ideas off of and point you in the right direction. These mentors don’t necessarily have to be people you directly work with, but can be other members of the firm that can provide you with great insight and advice that will help you shape the career path you’d like to carve out for yourself.
Available opportunities with Grant Thornton this Fall semester:
- Summer 2018 Audit and Tax Internships