Office Location: Irvine, CA
- Janelle Huang (email@example.com) [Currently out on Maternity Leave]
- Torie Prothro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Professionals in Attendance:
- Mathew Roppo (email@example.com) – Senior Manager, Audit
- Isaac Chin (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Associate, Tax
Speaker Meeting Topic: How to succeed in your first year as an Intern or Associate
- Your first year as an associate is very important – you want to impress and build your brand and reputation. When you start your career, it is a good idea to start running out of the gates and building yourself up as a hard worker. From Day 1 to Day 365.
• 10 Attributes to a Successful Career:
- Attitude is everything: having a positive attitude can make the most strenuous tasks seem bearable.
- Take time to listen.
- Under-promise, over-deliver.
- Set goals: have a vision, be proactive.
- Be a team player.
- Professionalism: be aware of your surroundings, avoid hot topics.
- Written and Verbal Skills: regularly monitor your email and use business language.
- Take pride in your work: take pride in anything that bears your name.
- Play by the house rules: abide by the dress code, use of phones, and the expected working hours.
- Excel through questions: do not be afraid to ask questions. It is much better to spend 2 minutes of your supervisor’s time going over your question instead of spending 10+ minutes trying to figure it out on your own.
- Attitude is the most important factor. Even if you forget #2-10 on the list above, just #1 alone will take you half way there to being the best first year Associate you can be.
Useful Tips from KPMG Professionals:
• Although maintaining a strong GPA is important, other factors are considered in an ideal candidate such as receiving feedback well and being a good team player.
• Ask good, targeted questions specific to the office. o Ex.) What differentiates KPMG’s OC office and LA office?
• KPMG’s Tax practice is great for partnership experience.
• KPMG’s Audit practice has a broad base of clients in the OC office, including Banks, Schools, Not-for-Profit, Asset Management, Automotive, etc.
Available opportunities with KPMG this Fall semester:
• Full-time and Winter/Summer Internship positions