Updated: Aug 5, 2020
Post Published: Sept 20
Firm Name: Deloitte LLP
Date: September 18, 2018
Claire Chang – Recruiter
Francis – Audit senior
Dani – 2nd year audit
Cara – 2nd year tax
Jason Fernandez – Audit senior manager
Jimmy Ngo – Tax Manager
What is public accounting?
o Broad range of accounting audit tax and consulting
o Corps, govt, non-profits
o Exposure to a lot opportunity involving big corps and C-suite professionals
- Deloitte is the biggest in terms of size
Who are we?
- Largest CPA and professional services organization
- 64,000 people in 100+ offices (USA)
- 6 major segments of the economy
- Apply on Titan Connection
- Website (found on Titan Connection)
- Preference link (for preferences of location)
Net Worth: 38.8 Billion net worth
4 different business entities
- Audit & amp; assurance
o Each service is their own entity – they can stand on their own two feet, should the
business not do well
o Same values and culture
- Only Big 4 that has a fully functioning consulting department
Audit and Assurance
- What does an auditor do?
o Auditors look at financial statements and perform certain procedures
- Why do you guys think an audit is required?
o Investors need to trust the financial statement; protect the capital markets
- Day to day basis
o Changes at all levels of your career
o 1st year tedious work – “as you progress the more fun you have”
o “Amazing how quickly you get respsonsbility”
o Senior manager 80% non-audit related, looking for new clients, research, work
o “No two days that are exactly alike”
- Managing tax is a critical part of an effective business strategy. We help our clients understand tax structures and minimize the tax effect of complex decisions.
- New hires will gain exposure to a variety of companies and industries and develop strategies for assisting various clients with tax planning, tax rates, and achieve performance objectives.
- “Lots of consulting opportunities”
- “Lots of listening, note taking”
- First 3 years is a huge learning curve for new hires
Day in the life
- Tax research you do as a staff
Typical career path
- Senior (3yrs)
- Manager (3yrs)
- Senior manager (depends on performance)
Accelerated career path
2 years of staff then senior
Quick responsibility out of college
“You are looked at as an expert very early on your career – soft skills are extremely important.” - Jason
We look for..
- Accounting majors
- 150 semester units
- Involvement on campus
- Strong grades
- Great communication skills
- Well-rounded, goal-oriented individuals who can interact with clients
- Keep in mind – the formal trainings and on the job trainings you will receive in public accounting will ensure that you are 100% prepared to do your job!
- Have an open mind and a positive attitude!!
Qualities of a strong intern:
- Good attitude
- Willing to ask questions and raise your hand
- Be honest
- Mindset to always be learning – take notes
- Everything will be new so be ready to learn
Save the date:
Application deadline; Sept 28th 2018 (all Big 4)
On campus interviews: Tues, Oct 9th
Explore your fit!
- Fill out this survey to see what service line you best fit into